Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thoughts on the Day


Today started just like most Thursday mornings for me. I was about 5 minutes late for work, was bombarded by E-mails as I got to my desk and I ate a bagel. Today, however, at 8:00 am, my co-workers and I gathered outside to face the rising sun of a new day and silently remembered the fallen heros of seven years ago. It wasn’t anything grand. There wasn’t any speakers. It was simply a group of civilians, soldiers and airmen gathered together to reflect. I couldn’t help my thoughts from wandering to October 2006 when a similar group of friends and co-workers visited a rather mundane field made hallow in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. This is the final resting place of Flight 93. I remember thinking on that cold fall afternoon that this spot didn’t hold any spectacular beauty. In fact it wasn’t remarkable in any way, yet the feelings felt shall never be forgotten. I was overcome with a sense of sadness, resolve, patriotism, and awe at the heroics of that day. Glad that the rain hid my tears as I recalled the words of Lincoln given not two hours to the south-east, "...that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth." Today this is my prayer, my hope. That the prayers of the good and righteous shall continue to sustain this nation. That the banner of freedom and its price be remembered instead of ridiculed. May the Holy Ghost be our guide, may the light of Christ illuminate our path, may God bless the United States of America. - Jason

0 comments: